Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Meet Your (Quilt) Maker: Christine Quirion

If you've been to one of our meetings lately then you know we are putting some Polaroid quilt blocks together for our next block of the "month". In honor of the lovely crafty lady who brought us this pattern, we have our next installment of Meet Your "Quilt" Maker.

Meet Christine Quirion!


What’s your favorite podcast/music/audiobook genre to listen to when you quilt?

I’ve been listening to Lotta Sea Lice by Courtney Barnett and Kurt Weill a lot, along with Stevie Wonder and Solange. Also Radiolab podcast.

What skill are you itching to master?


I want to go back to curves again, like a drunkard’s path or muffin top. My first and only Drunkard’s Path quilt languished for 3 or 4 years because I thought I had made too many mistakes--the other skill to work on is focusing on what is right in my quilts instead of my eye drifting to the mistakes.

What sewing skill are you most proud of?

Figuring out how to add hand embroidery to my quilts is something that took a lot of trial and error, I like doing a little customization or a small message in the quilts for people I care about.
An embroidered pillow of sad robots for my niece Lyla
Do you sew for a living?

What an interesting idea. Much of why I sew has to do with getting to work on what I want, when I want to without having to get agreement from other people (which is what I do a lot of in my work managing projects).
What kind of fabric are you most attracted to?

Prints! I love prints, my eyes are naturally drawn especially to black and white prints (dots, stripes, shapes, repetitive images of any time, you name it).  Much of what I’m looking at lately has been Cotton + Steel. I also love Carolyn Friedlander fabrics too. Anything architectural or pop art inspired really sings out to me.
Tell us about the quilt that means the most to you and why. This doesn’t have to be one that you made. And we’d love to see a picture!

The quilt that we have on our bed most of the year, which is a Modern Flying Geese pattern from Red Pepper Quilts. This was the first quilt I made on my own without taking a class.  I like adding a little bit of randomness, so I was able to turn a few of the blocks sideways and it makes me really happy.
My favorite quilt, Modern Flying Geese design by Red Pepper Quilts
How/When did you start quilting?

About eight years ago. I grew up crocheting and making clothes for dolls because my parents were always DIY-ing things. My mom got into quilting when she retired, so I followed along.
From designing and picking fabrics to watching a recipient’s face when they see your quilt for the first time, what is your favorite part of the whole process?

My favorite part is finding something I can do with the design or fabric choices that relates to the person i’m making it for. Next in my list is the Up North Pattern by Pen + Paper patterns, I want to add a dog and turn the camper van into a horse trailer for my aunt who loves collies and has horses.
Spooky spiderweb and ghost themed wedding quilt for a friend who loves Halloween 
What do you do get over a hump when you get stuck on a quilt?

Set it aside and move on to something else like improv log cabin squares. If things are looking too matchy, my husband sometimes gives me a second opinion to rearrange the blocks a little bit.
What kind of other crafts are you into besides quilting?

I knit, sew bags and clothes, embroider, and I do a lot of cooking.
Where’s your fave place to eat in Cambridge?

Trina’s Starlite Lounge, All-Star Pizza bar and Flour have the veggie options I need.
A mini version of the Rebel Quilt design by Libs Elliot which I made for a 
Quiltcon mini quilt swap last Feb. 
Do you have any favorite blogs/insta accounts we should know about? And where can we find you on the internet?

On instagram, I like to follow
@builtaquilt
@thencamejune
@libselliot
@sewyoursoul
@lisacongdon  
You can find me on instagram @quirionc
Anything else you want us to know about you?

I'm a scorpio and my preferred mode of travel is by bike.





2 comments:

  1. This is amazing article. I really love Christine's crafting ideas for DIY.

    Thanks for sharing!
    embroidery sticker and patches
    Back sticker and patches

    ReplyDelete
  2. She looks more like an imp

    ReplyDelete